Thursday, May 5, 2011

Exploring and Developing Photographic Concepts


Lindsey Selden

Throughout this entire semester, there have been certain works I have seen that stuck with me the entire time. Finding pictures that I can relate to, or that I believe really are saying a lot to me, are photographs that I tend to love. The ideas that I am exploring in these photos are the ideas of Lauren Greenfield. She did a collection called, “Girl Culture”, capturing the most intimate moments with her subjects, when they are most vulnerable in a girly way. She told a story through her photos by displaying the harsh reality of what girls go through now days, and that is exactly what I also tried to convey through my photos. The relationship between the media and young woman is constantly changing. Always expecting more perfection from the female gender. As a young woman myself, I can really relate to these photos and feels the pressure and see the pressures my friends go to and that is why I am so drawn to do my project on her work. By taking these photos and sending messages to viewers, I feel like the pictures can say so much more than words. Physically seeing what girls are doing the themselves rather than hearing about it can make a much bigger impact. Although my photos were very similar to Lauren’s, they were also much different. I did all of my photos in black in white and Greenfield’s were almost all in color. I felt that the border and black and white affect really made the photos more dramatic and isolated.  Lauren Greenfield’s work was probably the number one emotion evoking and relatable photographs I have seen this past semester. I am passionate about girls not trying to alter themselves for someone else and I believe these types of photos are actually a positive way to help women. 

No comments:

Post a Comment